Northbrook College, Broadwater Campus
We were commissioned to prepare a Landscape and Ecological Design Strategy for the Broadwater Road, Phase 2 Development of Northbrook College, Worthing. Based upon scheme proposals, the landscape and ecological enhancement measures were designed and specified with the aim of enhancing species and bio-diversity within the development site in line with the BREEAM land use and ecology credits.
The central landscape courtyard provides an external dining and seating area at the heart of the development. The external paving plazas surrounding the building entrances and stairwells is defined with grey granite blockwork set within silver grey granite paving slabs. The soft landscape planting areas enclose and contain the courtyard whilst providing a central seating recreational area. The central courtyard includes feature bespoke oval raised seating and planters to the centre line of the courtyard space, adjacent to curved courtyard benches set out amongst the soft landscape planters.
A BREEAM habitat, seating and garden area is proposed to the southern edge of the Phase 2 building, surrounding the existing mature tree grouping of sycamores. The habitat area is planted with native trees, mixed species hedge line, and native understorey and flowering edge planting, edged with wildflower grassland in order to enhance the existing site habitats for nesting birds, foraging bats, invertebrates and hedgehogs.
+ Details of Ecological and Arboricultural Assessments
- An extended Ecology Phase 1 Habitat Survey and Protected Species Assessment;
- Tree Retention and Protection proposals for the Phase 2 development site;
- Ecological Assessment specifically targeted to identify the existing habitats and potential for protected species.
- Detailed Bat Roost Assessment of existing structures attached to the planning application.
- A Detailed tree survey undertaken referencing LLD420/01 - Tree Constraints Plan, existing tree schedule and schedule of tree works, and LLD420/02 Tree Retention and Protection Drawing.